Sunday, April 22, 2007

timboy invades rage

I'm trying to put together 20 clips at the moment to 'invade rage'

The deadline is 1 May, so I have cobbled together a shortlist at the moment.

I've gone back through many rage playlists to check that the clips are available- for a lot of bands there are songs I really would like to hear on Rage but I'm not sure if they have film clips for. Joy Division is a classic example- I'm sure everyone is sick to death of hearing Love will tear us apart and atmosphere on Rage. Ah well.

I'm interested if people have any additional thoughts and suggestions.

I'm a bit worried some of these clips have been done to death over the years- one of the criteria is accessability to the Triple J audience- I'm not sure how Shivers by the Boy's Next Door would fit that criteria for instance. Some of my choices are probably a bit too old.

Ah well, all I can do is have a crack.

Here's my initial list:

My bloody Valentine: Swallow, To here knows when, Feed me with your kiss, you made me realise
Jesus and Mary Chain: Just like Honey
The Cure: Pictures of you, Night Like This, Letter to Elise, Just Like Heaven
Idlewild: American English
Longwave: Wake me when it’s over
Billy Bragg: Between The Wars, A New England, Levi Stubbs Tears
The Stranglers: Golden Brown
Echo and The Bunnymen: A promise, The killing moon
PIL: Rise
Sugar cubes: Birthday
The Organ: Brother, Memorize the City
Elastica: Stutter, Connection
The Sundays: Can’t be Sure
Husker Du: Don't want to know if you ar lonely
David Bowie: Heroes
Kraftwerk: Tour De France
Joy Division: Love will tear us apart, Atmosphere
New Order: Temptation, Regret
Lemonheads: If I could Talk I’d Tell you
The replacements: Answering machine
The clash: train in vain
Public Enemy: Fight the Power
Bruce Springsteen: Born to Run
Ride: Vapour trails
Happy Mondays: Lazyitis
Smiths: Still Ill (maybe no clip), how soon is now, There is a Light that Never Goes Out
Morrissey: Suedehead
Rat Cat: Don’t go now
Teenage Fanclub: Sparky’s Dream
The Jam: That’s Entertainment
Bronski Beat: Small Town Boy
Icehouse: Electric Blue
Oasis: Live Forever
Pulp: Common People, Disco 2000
Boys Next Door: Shivers
Sunny Day Real Estate: Seven
Pixies: Where is my mind?
Interpol: Evil
The Muppets: Rainbow connection
Go-Betweens: Bachelor Kisses, Cattle and Cane
Jawbreaker: Fireman
The Early Years: Say What I want to
Editors: bullets, open your arms
Life Without Buildings: PS Exclusive (not sure if there is a video for this)

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some great songs here. In terms of great but underplayed film clips I reckon Talking Heads came up with some great 80s film clips:.“(nothing but) flowers” is my fav. After many years Rage of watching, the one song that has stood out in my head (but I saw played only once) was called “Alanis Morissette” by Wesley Willis. Best film clip ever made.

2:47 PM  
Blogger Pádraic said...

beck - sexx laws
blur - coffee & tv
doves - there goes the fear
beastie boys - sabotage, 3mcs & 1dj
white stripes - fell in love with a girl
bjoerk - it's oh so quiet/hyperballad
monkees - daydream believer
rage against the machine - killing in the name of
belle and sebastian - seeing other people
radiohead - paranoid android

3:18 PM  
Blogger Pádraic said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

3:18 PM  
Blogger timboy said...

Hey anonymous, I love Wesley Willis.

How could I forget Wesley?

Rock over London,rock on chicago

Good choices larson- put together yr own list.

list off!

4:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey timboy. Definitely agree with a few of yours. This is what I'm going for:

(Be gentle....)

Yo La Tengo - sugar cube (really funny clip.. The Foghat Principle, fourth album = double live hehehhe)
The Replacements - bastards of young (the best fuck you to crappy overproduced MTV choreographed video clips ever...)
dEUS - Instant st (choreographed dancing...)
Rufus Wainwright - Chelsea hotel (from the Leonard Cohen: I'm Your Man soundtrack...)
Dirty Three - everythings fucked (beautiful song, added bonus of Nick Cave cameo)
Badly Drawn Boy - once around the block (hahahha braces!)
The cure - Siamese twins choregraphed by the royal ballet (found this on youtube...it's really bizare but somehow works)
Johnny cash - Hurt
New order- perfect kiss (I really enjoyed seeing them punch this out live in the studio. Also loved the whole mythos..ie "ooohh its suppposed to be ian curtis standing in the doorway")
Triffids- Hell of a summer (I love this song, but the only clip I found was live on "the tube" so might have to go on the bench.)
TV on the radio - Staring at the sun (cool song, and clip..lots of colours..)
Happy Mondays – Wrote for luck..(I love the rave kids dancing!)
The Go-Betweens-bachelor kisses (all about Grant)
Pavement- Gold Soundz (evil santa's)
Beirut- mt wroclai
Sleater Kinney - Get up
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - the mercy seat
Mogwai - Stanley Kubrik (alien potato hahah)
Bluebottle Kiss - something tiny
Sigur Ros- untitled number 1 (kids playing in fallout is a pretty cool idea for a clip..)
Bronski Beat Small town boy.. (best degrassi homage ever!)

8:28 PM  
Blogger timboy said...

With the Triffids I'm pretty sure Wide Open Road is the only one they've got, that's why I didn't include it (played a million times).

I was thinking of dropping shark fin blues as a Triffids esque homage.

Johnny Cash Hurt would be on the list except I think I have plenty of depressing stuff on there already :(

I'm not sure if I want temptation or regret by New Order. Regret may help lift the melancholic mood a touch.

Check out the Bluebottle kiss guest program of rage from a few years ago- I think it has quite a few 'live on recovery' filmclips. I don't think they have many filmclips apart from these.

I like yours much better than mine at the moment (for the reason that it focuses on cool clips)- if that doesn't get up I'd be pretty pissed off (judging by the taste of the programmers over the last ten years). Pretty big call from me.

Have you submitted yet?

8:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wasn't one of Shaun Ryder's benders in W.A a couple of years ago? So your mondays clip is your Triffids 'represent' right there..

i saw 'tap dancin on the titanic' on recovery (it's also on youtube!), but something tiny is a pretty good clip as well.
There's also a heap of hilarious lea whannel video reviews! Ahh memories...

9:04 PM  
Blogger timboy said...

I don't think you can really be geographically specific about Shaun Ryder's benders can you :D

9:17 PM  
Blogger timboy said...

I chose Lazyitis for the Mondays- because you have Ryder in the prison yard, standing in the pouring rain singing a duet with a random old bloke.

Pretty funny !

9:20 PM  
Blogger Alex said...

Mondays: "Hallelujah" or "42 hour party people." They are the bestest.

You can't not have Beastie Boys. Something from Check your Head or Ill Communication.

I agree with Mr Anonymous with Mogwai they are super duper good, definatly underrated.

Also, I rate the Stokes and Arcade Fire. I feel they are missing.

But I don't think I know anywhere near as much music as you do Timbo.. so I will leave my advice at that.

9:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home