Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Obama and Rudd: Generational Change

This brief piece in the Australian reminded me that Senator Obama's focus has been on generational change.

I wonder if he has picked up this theme from the Rudd campaign downunder where approximately 70% of under 39's voted for Rudd.

Clearly younger voters in the US, like in Australia, have been neglected for a long time on the basis that they represent a smaller proportion of the population base.

But as the Rudd victory showed, if you alienate one generational segment, you have a lot of ground to make up in other segments.

The Democratic nomination campaign has touched on issues of race, gender and class- but in the wash up, it may turn out that generational politics may play a larger role than expected.

This will be particularly dangerous for Hillary, especially considering the perception that 'she had her chance'.

It may be a case of 'Get out of the way, it's our turn now'!

All this inter-generational warfare talk makes me want to read 'Gangland' by Mark Davis.

1 Comments:

Blogger JoJo Bruyninckx said...

Saw you commenting my blog...

Well my dear Australian, I ride in that weahter with a lot of clothes on!!
I'm used to it so I don't care actually I have to train so I do it... Like they say I'm a real "Flandrien"!!

10:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home